[Pythonmac-SIG] Tiger's default Python set-up

Dave Stokes stokes at mac.com
Mon Jul 11 22:54:43 CEST 2005

Hello, all. this is my first post to the pythonmac-sig mailing list, so
please forgive me if my question is not fully in line with the purpose of
the group.

Anyway, could someone provide me with some information about how Python is
supposed to be set up under Mac OS 10.4?  Specifically, what would a clean
system install look like?  I had some difficulty with Python after upgrading
from 10.3 which I attempted to repair myself.  I realize now, after looking
over the system and doing some research on-line, that I had no idea what I
was doing - the majority of Python work I'd done had been either under
Windows or Linux, so trying to apply that knowledge to my Mac installation
ended up completely breaking things.  Every Python shell/IDE is running a
different version, and none of them can 'see' my site-packages directories
(of which there are four in various locations).

Everything I've subjected my poor machine to has just made it worse, so I've
come to the conclusion that I should just chuck it and start over.  Can
anyone offer any advice?  Environment variables, directory structure, et
cetera.  I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Dave Stokes