[Pythonmac-SIG] not "MacPython" - right place?

William K woklist at charter.net
Wed Jul 20 05:38:41 CEST 2005

I'm not sure if this is the place - browsing the list shows everyone
talking about MacPython or building their own.  I'm just interested
in figuring out something on Apple's included Python.  Major Python
newbie here (a couple Python books in the mail).

When I do an install with no options, it installs in /System/
Library/...  That doesn't sound like a good idea - /System should be
for Apple stuff and the occassional kext.  Is there a standard user-
plugin folder for Python on Mac OS X (like /Library/Python)?  And how
would I specify that in a python setup.py install command?  The
distutils documentation didn't help - developer-oriented.

for Mac OS 10.4.

I remember trying something back in Panther, but I didn't have the
time or need to pursue it very far.  I installed a module somehow in /
Library/Python and it's still there.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin