[Pythonmac-SIG] not "MacPython" - right place?

William K woklist at charter.net
Wed Jul 20 21:35:58 CEST 2005

>> I figured it out, partly.  While the site-packages is linked to /
>> Library/Python, headers are still put into the /System/Library
>> Python framework.  So I used --install-headers=/Library/Python/2.3/
>> site-include.  Is there a standard name for a site headers folder
>> in /Library/Python?
>>
>> The problem is, there is no option in bdist to specify an install-
>> headers location, at least not in the package I'm looking at
>> (Numeric).
>>

> If you put the headers anywhere else, they're useless because
> nothing will find them.  Take the purist hat off, or install a non-
> System distro of Python (e.g. Python 2.4.1).

Is that a Python thing, or a slipup by Apple in their distro of
Python?  That seems a bit limiting if you can put libraries/modules
where you want, but force headers to be in one location to be usable
(while still letting you install them anywhere).

> unless you really want to do things yourself, the best bet is to first
> look and see if the package you need is at:
>
> www.pythonmac.org/packages

No Numeric for Tiger.

> If it does worry you so much, then install Python 2.4.1, which places
> its files in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework and be done with it.

You mean MacPython, right?  Is there a separate MacPython installer
for Tiger?  The one I found (from March) says it's for Panther, and
I'm a bit cautious of installing something meant for Panther on
Tiger.  Are there any problems running that one on Tiger?

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

Earth: "Mostly harmless"

- revised entry in the HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy