[Pythonmac-SIG] Solid GUI toolkits for Mac?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 27 18:15:45 CEST 2005

Robert Kern wrote:
> wxPython and Tk are so-so in this regard. They use the real thing
> underneath for most of their widgets.

Really? TK sure didn't used to do this.And does it use an native higher
level widgets? In any case, I haven't used TK in a long time, but
everything I've seen indicates that wxPython is far more native. It's a
better toolkit anyway, unless you need TK's canvas or Text Widget. (even
then, between OGL, FloatCanvas and STC, you may be better off with wx)

> Layout isn't always the best,
> though.

But it's pretty darn good. I love wx.Sizers.

Most wxPython apps are originally written on other platforms, designed
by people that have more experience on other platforms. As a result you
get apps that don't look very Mac-like. The toolkit itself has its
limitations, but with careful design, you can get a very
Mac-like app with wxPython.

That being said, PyObjC is probably a better choice for Mac-only apps,
but I am not in a position to write Mac-only apps. Do you really want to
be platform dependent?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov