[Pythonmac-SIG] Appscript Installer 1.1a1

Nick Matsakis matsakis at mit.edu
Thu Jun 2 08:08:58 CEST 2005

HAS and I are working on a new version of the appscript binary installer.
An alpha version of the installer can be found at:

http://appscript.ai.mit.edu/appscript-1.1a1.dmg

Changes from Appscript Installer 1.0.x include:

  - Changed installation location to be compatible with 10.4 python
    installation
  - Includes latest versions of all components, including adding macfile
  - Updated documentation and sample scripts
  - Replaced RenderTerminology with HTMLDictionary
  - Removed CarbonAE dependency, (no longer modifies System framework)

Don't be put off by the "alpha", it just refers to the fact that the
installer isn't quite feature complete yet---I'd like to add support for
the framework build of Python 2.4.1.  As it stands, this installer should
work to install or upgrade the appscript installation to work with the
stock python installations in Mac OS X 10.3.x and 10.4.x.  It also
includes all the documentation and sample scripts we intend for the final
distribution.

If you do install it, note your OS version and which version (if any) of
the appscript installer you have used in the past when sending me any bug
reports. Not that I expect there to be issues, but if you have any please
let me know as soon as possible (note particularly any issues with
permissions---this installer doesn't assume root priviledges, so those
shouldn't be a problem).  I plan to have a beta release out by the weekend
and then, assuming all goes well, a release perhaps at the end of next
week.

One thing in particular that I would love to test is whether this install
survives an upgrade from 10.3->10.4 (it should).  If you were planning on
installing Tiger this week, perhaps try installing appscript first.

Finally, on the matter of Python 2.4, is there a standard place that the
macpython 2.4.1 looks for packages?  /Library/Python/2.4/site-packages,
perhaps?

Nick Matsakis