[Pythonmac-SIG] Appscript Installer 1.1a1

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Fri Jun 3 11:37:08 CEST 2005

Bob Ippolito wrote:

>An installer, as built by bdist_mpkg, won't install anything unless
>Python is where it expects it to be.  Thus, it's not possible to
>install into a framework that doesn't exist.

Interjecting a moment, the appscript installer needs to carry both 2.3 and 2.4 versions of half a dozen package binaries (including osaterminology, which needs to be hand-built across two different OSes), so that it can install the appropriate set of binaries into each Python.framework it finds: Apple-installed 2.3.x on 10.3 and 10.4, user-installed 2.4.x on either; maybe more. Plus a couple pre-built helper apps to go in /Applications/Utilities.

Is bdist_mpkg suitable for building such general-purpose installers? My impression was that it's limited to building a binary installer for a single Python package on a single major Python version, or can it do more?

OK, back to you guys now... :)

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/