[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython addons and Tiger

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Jun 3 17:40:10 CEST 2005

On Jun 3, 2005, at 5:00 AM, Jon Rosebaugh wrote:

> On 6/2/05, Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:
>
>> The older ones probably work if you also install TigerPython23Compat
>> -- however, you're better off just using Python 2.4.1.  Forget about
>> Python 2.3.
>>

> Okay... Do I have to do anything special to avoid breaking things? I
> understand some Apple tools depend on the version that ships with the
> OS.

No, it installs to /Library/Frameworks and makes a few symlinks /usr/
local/bin.

> (I'd read the webpages, but I can't find any official macpython
> webpages that have been updated for Tiger.)

Python 2.4.1 works fine on Tiger (it probably says "10.3+" or "10.3
and later", which means "works on tiger"), but if you want to compile
extensions, you'll have to pick up TigerPython24Compat from <http://
pythonmac.org/packages> -- which is a patch that fixes a header in
the pkg.

There should be plenty of information on Tiger and the various
Pythons on my blog: <http://bob.pythonmac.org/>.  If someone would
like to distill this information and put it in the wiki <http://
pythonmac.org/wiki> then please feel free.

As far as the "official macpython webpages" go, Jack is a busy guy
and doesn't update them very regularly.  Currently the information in
my blog and the archives of this list are authoritative, especially
with regard to Python 2.4.1, since I built that distribution.