[Pythonmac-SIG] Appscript Installer 1.1a1

Nick Matsakis matsakis at mit.edu
Sat Jun 4 00:20:06 CEST 2005

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> Python extensions/packages don't and can't currently do things the
> Mac way, trying to shoehorn it into the Mac way before it's ready
> just causes unnecessary hassle for the developer and the user.  You
> should just do it the way that everyone else does things, consistency
> is good.

Answer this simple question, then: What is the right way to install
third-party python additions on the Mac?  and don't say use "use
bdist_mpkg".  I'm not interested in the mechanics but the end result.  It
sounds like the answer to this question is: "Extensions sould be installed
in the site-packages directory of the python framework".  Is that a fair
answer?

> > I was hoping to install 2.3 and 2.4 compatible binaries into
> > /Library/Python/2.x/site-packages.  This is simple and more
> > future-proof than the alternatives, as I see it.
>
> Don't.  Keep 2.3 and 2.4 separate.

/Library/Python/2.3/site-packages is separate from
/Library/Python/2.4/site-packages.

> Easy enough to do wrong, too.  As far as documentation goes,
> bdist_mpkg has documentation on the first google hit!

300 words is not "documentation".  How do I actually run it once I've
installed it?  How do I set .mpkg specific flags and metadata, pre and
postflight scripts?

Nick