[Pythonmac-SIG] retrieving config values from the System Preferences

Nicholas Riley njriley at uiuc.edu
Tue Jun 7 17:06:41 CEST 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 02:54:12PM +0200, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> I'm porting an app to Mac OS X and I need to retrieve the configuration
> values entered in the System Preferences (specifically the HTTP proxy
> settings). I already know how to do that under Gnome and Windows, but I
> haven't found how to retrieve those values under Mac OS X (Panther, by
> the way). Is there a reliable way to do that ?

Generic information is here:

<http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2001/qa1234.html>

Bob Ippolito wrote a PyObjC-based wrapper for the SystemConfiguration
framework, which makes this very simple to do in Python:

>>> from SystemConfiguration import UNSystemConfigurationDynamicStore
>>> store = UNSystemConfigurationDynamicStore.alloc().initWithName_('foo')
>>> print store.proxies()
{
    AppleProxyConfigurationSelected = 2;
    ExcludeSimpleHostnames = 0;