[Pythonmac-SIG] macpython on future apple's intel processors?

Christopher Petrilli petrilli at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 20:14:15 CEST 2005

On 6/7/05, Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:
> That's totally not true, though.  Basically, almost NONE of the Mac-
> specific Python stuff works correctly on Mac OS X for Intel, and the
> changes required to fix that are hard.

I'm not that familiar with the specific changes, but from reading your
blog, a lot of it "sounds" like it's working outside the defined APIs
and frameworks.  Given Apple's recent interests in Python, and the
year lead-time before we have anything serious to worry about, it
seems that a proposal to formalize the interface some, and add some
stable APIs for what we need would be the best way to go.

Note that it took a while for the APIs in the kernel to stabilize, but
that's happened to a large extent with Tiger. If we were to approach
them with a proposal, then I think we might have a decent chance.
This wouldn't eliminate the problems, just simply fomalize them and
make them recognized by Apple. That's what this whole 1 year's notice
is about.

Or am I just on crack today?

Chris