[Pythonmac-SIG] ActiveState's OS X Python

Larry Meyn Larry.A.Meyn at nasa.gov
Tue Jun 7 23:10:19 CEST 2005

Trent,

Sorry for the wording, a failed attempt at humor.  I just glanced at
the announcement and noticed that your installer will move macpython
aside, but failed to notice that it adds some symlinks to still access
macpython and there is a mechanism to put it back.  It's just that
having two actively maintained binary framework distros for OS X is a
new situation to me (my apologies to MacEnthon, but my impression was
that it's still somewhat experimental and Jack has been to busy to
maintain his repository lately.)

Actually, another distro is probably a welcome addition as long as the
extensions are compatible.  I've always used and recommended  the
ActivePython distro for windows when circumstances require that less
friendly OS.  I guess my main question was how the entrance of
ActiveState would play in the overall development of Python for OS X.
More is good, but I hope there will be some productive cooperation with
the current prime movers of Python for OS X. (Not me, I'm just a
grateful user :)

Again, sorry to get things started off on the wrong foot.  Your
participation is welcomed.

Larry

Larry Meyn
Aerospace Operations Modeling Branch