[Pythonmac-SIG] bdist_mpkg Package Names

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Jun 8 02:05:46 CEST 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 1:10 PM, Nick Matsakis wrote:

> In building packages, bdist_mpkg must pick a name and bundle
> identifier
> for the package, e.g. building appscript results in:
>
> name: appscript-purelib-0.12.0-py2.3-macosx10.3
> bundleIdentifier: org.pythonmac.appscript-purelib-py2.3-macosx10.3
>
> These are used by the installer to determine whether to do an
> upgrade or
> clean installation. As I understand it, by putting all those version
> numbers in the name, it becomes difficult to force an "update"
> rather than
> a clean install.  As I understand it, 10.3 uses the package name to
> determine whether to install or update, while 10.4 uses some
> combination
> of the name and bundle identifier. See list post referenced at the
> end for
> more details.

The OS version number is to specify on which version of Mac OS X the
package was built.  This matters, because packages will only run on
versions of Mac OS X >= this version unless it contains no
extensions.  It also determines where it will get installed to (at
least with stock 2.3 on Panther vs Tiger).

I'll remove the package version number from the name when I get a
chance.  I'm pretty sure that the 10.3-era documentation said the
CFBundleIdentifier was going to be used, but I guess that's not true.