[Pythonmac-SIG] ActiveState's OS X Python

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Wed Jun 8 02:15:06 CEST 2005

[andrea valle wrote]
> Let's suppose I install ActivePython.
> How do I install other modules? for example NumPy or PIL.
> Is there a particular mechanism doing the dirty job (a job in which I
> tipically don't succeed without package manager...)?

The standard way for 3rd-party modules to do this is to provide a
downloadable package that includes a "setup.py" script that you can run
to install the module:
    python setup.py install

The GUI-part of"Package Manager" with MacPython is not included in
ActivePython, but the commmand line version (pimp.py) is still there:

    python -m pimp -h
    python -m pimp -l
    python -m pimp -i PIL

Cheers,