[Pythonmac-SIG] ActiveState's OS X Python

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Wed Jun 8 02:23:04 CEST 2005

[Bob Ippolito wrote]
> It'd probably be better off just moving it to /Library/Frameworks/
> Backup/Python.framework or something, for at least these reasons:
>
> If a developer is going to naively embed ActivePython in their
> application, they'll probably just add a copy files phase to their
> Xcode project and bring in the whole framework, which if they had
> installed MacPython it would mean they'd bring in two Pythons.

That is a good reason. Do you have any idea of if that is at all common?
I'll look into updating pydistro.py (and hence the ActivePython
installer to do this).

> /usr/local/bin/macpython will still be linking against ActivePython,
> because that's where the Mach-O load command points.
> % otool -L `which python`
> /usr/local/bin/python:
>         /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python
> (compatibility version 2.4.0, current version 2.4.0)

Okay. This would require doing some binary patching of the MacPython
binaries (and the ActivePython binaries in the opposite case: moving
ActivePython aside). That is probably quite do-able: the ActivePython
installer has to do this on some of the other Unix platforms.

Thanks,
Trent

--
Trent Mick