[Pythonmac-SIG] macpython on future apple's intel processors?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Jun 8 07:45:10 CEST 2005

On Jun 7, 2005, at 6:50 PM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 7-jun-2005, at 10:59, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>

>> On Jun 7, 2005, at 12:36 AM, Markus Weissmann wrote:
>>

>>> I think this won't be a big headache for the Python community - not
>>> even for
>>> the whole open source people; in fact - as darwin for x86 already is
>>> available
>>> for some time now - we've already tested some software on darwin/
>>> x86.
>>> You may find a list of RPMs I've built in end of 2004 for opendarwin
>>> for Intel
>>> here [1]. Just check for the py_* named packages and relax! :)
>>>

>> That's totally not true, though.  Basically, almost NONE of the Mac-
>> specific Python stuff works correctly on Mac OS X for Intel, and the
>> changes required to fix that are hard.
>>

> Maybe, maybe not. I've quite optimistic about PyObjC (except the
> inject part,
> but that's because I'm not interested in that feature).

It's still a considerable amount of work to beat libffi into using
the sysv ABI with the exception or two that Apple has made, and then
get it to configure and compile BOTH ways at the same time.

Fixing mach_inject (in the homogenous architecture case) is MUCH less
work. and it should probably even be possible to make it work for
both PPC and Intel even if the injector and injectee architecture
differ... though that would be a fair amount of additional work.

> The hard part will be the creation of fat binaries.

Yeah.

BTW:  Nearly all bundlebuilder apps are broken on Mac OS X for Intel,
and all py2app apps work (via Rosetta, anyway).