[Pythonmac-SIG] Seeking maintaines for wxPython and PyQt packages on OS X

sw sw at wordtech-software.com
Sun Jun 12 23:33:13 CEST 2005

I have decided to significantly cut back on the open-source projects I
am involved with, which means that the Python developer tools I package
for Mac OS X are in need of new maintainers.

I am seeking maintainers for the following packages:

* Spe, a wxPython-based IDE. Spe also bundles Kiki, wxGlade, and XRCed.
Spe and wxGlade are undergoing continuous development, and so I
periodically update these when new milestone releases are reached. I
have also contributed some code to each of these programs that help
optimize them for Mac OS X.

* Boa Constructor, which is another wxPython-based IDE. Boa Constructor
also is undergoing heavy development. I have not yet released a package
of this program, though the version I have been working on is reasonably
stable, and I will probably release it in the next week or so.

* The PyQt-Mac binary distribution, which includes a binary installer of
all the PyQt libraries and also a package of Eric3, a PyQt-based IDE.

All of these programs can already be installed from source on the Mac;
what I've done for each is add code to help optimize them for OS X (as
far as my modest Python skills allow me to do, at any rate), and I've
also bundled them so that they can be launched as standard Mac
application packages. All of these programs have had issues with
stability and reliability in the past, but the work I've done
recently--focused particularly on moving the programs to the latest
versions of their supporting libraries, i.e. Python 2.4.1, wxPython
2.6.1, and PyQt 3.14.1, has improved their stability a great deal.

If you are interested, please contact me off-list to discuss the
particulars. Some of these packages have a Sourceforge infrastructure
already in place, which I will gladly turn over to you. Others may need
new server space, as I will eventually be removing these from my server.
If no one is able to take over a particular package, then active
Mac-based development on that package will probably cease (unless the
original program author is able to take on that task).

I am going to be concentrating mainly on application development instead
of package maintenance, specificially my DarwinPorts GUI project, the
Aquamacs version of Emacs on which I'm a co-developer, and another
project or two that are in the very early stages.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed feedback, bug reports, etc. on
these packages. I hope a few people who find these tools useful are able
to step forward and take over the maintenance of  them.

Regards,
Kevin Walzer