[Pythonmac-SIG] Tricky question?

Schollnick, Benjamin Benjamin.Schollnick at xerox.com
Tue Jun 14 18:09:38 CEST 2005

Folks,

    I'm considering porting a windows python package over to the
Macintosh....

    But one problem comes up....

    Is there any way to gather a list of applications that have been
installed on
    the Macintosh....

    With the windows registry, we just look at the uninstall tree....
    It's not perfect, but that get's 95+% of the packages....

  I can't think of any way to do this on the mac... Except....

    1) Os.path.Walk & check for .APP bundles....

  Anyone have a better suggestion?  This would have to address all the
connected
  hard drives....

  Also, anyway to tell what the current screen saver settings are?
  (ie. Screen Saver is set to turn on at XX minutes, and is password
protected?)

            - Benjamin