[Pythonmac-SIG] Tricky question?

Larry Meyn Larry.A.Meyn at nasa.gov
Tue Jun 14 20:09:50 CEST 2005

Benjamin,

You may be missing a non-python solution.  Apple's System Profiler will
give you a list of all application on a machine in addition to a lot of
other information.  It's in the utilities folder and available under
the Apple menu when you choose "About This Mac" and then "More
Info...".

If you want it more automated, System Profiler is scriptable, so one of
the Python AppleScript interfaces could be used.

Larry

On Jun 14, 2005, at 10:19 AM, Schollnick, Benjamin wrote:

>> As much as you can, it may help both here and in your bug
>> reports to describe why you need the above information; there
>> may be another way to do what you want.
>
> It's really simple....
>
> I accidentally ended up volunteering as the "Computer Security &
> License
> Audit" victim...  I mean person....
>
> So I used Python & Win32all (I forget the new name), to create an
> Audit tool that the user runs, and it emails me the data back... Both
> in an Email & File Attached XML file...
>
> It's been incredibly helpful on the windows side....  But I personally
> am a Macintosh person, and our group has a few macs....  It would be
> nice
> to be able to do the same thing on the Macintosh....
>
> As I mentioned the two big ones, are the Installed Programs, and Screen
> Saver
> settings....
>
> (I figure I can find the plist that the screen saver uses.....)
>
> 		- Benjamin

Larry Meyn
Aerospace Operations Modeling Branch

M/S 210-10