[Pythonmac-SIG] ANN: Boa Constructor for OS X available

Kevin Walzer sw at wordtech-software.com
Sat Jun 18 04:21:02 CEST 2005

I don't have any answers, I'm afraid, but I did reproduce the crash.

I wonder if Boa is trying to eval the script in the same process that
the interpreter itself is running in. This accounts for IDLE's inability
to run GUI code correctly--ditto for PythonIDE.

I have yet to encounter a Python editor on the Mac that does this
gracefully. Eric3, Spe, PyOxide,and now Boa--they all crash at times,
and sometimes all the time, when trying to eval/debug scripts.

To be perfectly honest, when it comes to the eval/debug cycle, Emacs +
terminal is about the only thing that works for me. The IDE's are best
for other things, such as code completion, generating the GUI
code--wxPython is a lot more complex to write by hand than Tcl/Tk, for
instance.

I'll keep working with Boa, though, and see if I can work with Riaan to
come up with a solution.

Cheers,

Kevin Walzer, PhD
WordTech Software--Open Source Applications and Packages for OS X
http://www.wordtech-software.com
http://www.kevin-walzer.com
http://www.smallbizmac.com.
mailto:sw at wordtech-software.com

Charles Hartman wrote:
| That's the .dmg dist of Python 2.4.1, and the unicode .dmg dist of
| wxPython 2.6.0.1. Here are the app and frame Boa built and crashed
| while trying to run:
|
| =============================
|
| #Boa:Frame:Frame1
|
| import wx
|
| def create(parent):
|     return Frame1(parent)
|
| [wxID_FRAME1] = [wx.NewId() for _init_ctrls in range(1)]
|
| class Frame1(wx.Frame):
|     def _init_ctrls(self, prnt):
|         wx.Frame.__init__(self, style=wx.DEFAULT_FRAME_STYLE,  name='',
| parent=prnt, title='Frame1', pos=(320, 177), id=wxID_FRAME1,  size=(853,
| 473))
|
|     def __init__(self, parent):
|         self._init_ctrls(parent)
|
| =============================
|
| #!/usr/bin/env python
| #Boa:App:BoaApp
|
| import wx
|
| import TestFrame
|
| modules ={u'TestFrame': [1, 'Main frame of Application',
u'TestFrame.py']}

| class BoaApp(wx.App):
|     def OnInit(self):
|         wx.InitAllImageHandlers()
|         self.main = TestFrame.create(None)
|         self.main.Show()
|         self.SetTopWindow(self.main)
|         return True
|
| def main():
|     application = BoaApp(0)
|     application.MainLoop()
|
| if __name__ == '__main__':
|     main()
|
| ===================================
|

| On Jun 17, 2005, at 8:10 PM, Kevin Walzer wrote:
|
| What version of wxPython/MacPython are you using? It's *very* unstable
| under the Apple system Python and wxPython, but has worked fine for me
| under the latest versions of Py/wxPy.
|
| Cheers,
|
| Kevin Walzer, PhD
| WordTech Software--Open Source Applications and Packages for OS X
| http://www.wordtech-software.com
| http://www.kevin-walzer.com
| http://www.smallbizmac.com.
| mailto:sw at wordtech-software.com
|
| Charles Hartman wrote:
| | The new version is very pretty, and very promising.  Unfortunately, it
| | crashes. I started the steps in the Help tutorial -- created a
| folder,
| | made a new app with a frame -- and pressed the Run button,  and the
| | program crashed. Tried again, same thing.
| |
| | Charles Hartman
| |
| | On Jun 17, 2005, at 12:06 AM, Kevin Walzer wrote:
| |
| | Boa Constructor is now available for Mac OS X.
| |
| | Boa is a cross-platform Python IDE and wxPython GUI Builder. It  offers
| | visual frame creation and manipulation, an object inspector,  many
| | on the source like object browsers, inheritance hierarchies, doc
| string
| | generated html documentation, an advanced debugger and  integrated
| help.
| |