[Pythonmac-SIG] Eclipse + PyDev

Henning.Ramm@mediapro-gmbh.de Henning.Ramm at mediapro-gmbh.de
Thu Jun 23 23:03:33 CEST 2005

>I've tried to use PyDev, but apart from the speed issue, Eclipse's
>interface is so sprawling and unintuitive that I haven't even figured
>out how to get PyDev started. Perhaps I'm missing something, and if you
>find Eclipse a pleasant environment to work in, go for it.

I tried Eclipse yesterday and today and needed a while until I got PyDev installed:
You must add the update URL as new remote repository in the update wizard (see Help menu),
it doesn't work to just copy the files; Eclipse3 seems to need a special (and missing)
dotfile to recognize the new plugin.

I didn't try to edit Python code yet, but I agree that the interface is rather non-intuitive and non-MacOSy, and I don't like that it needs very long to start (as every Java application on MacOS X, i.e. on my old G4/400), but perhaps the mightyness of Blackout, ehm, Eclipse is worth the hassle. (And I could use it for Perl, PHP, HTML etc. also)

I just tried also Eric3 (seems to support only Apple's Python 2.3) and DrPython (starts fast, seems lean, has ugly icons), I will need some time to test them.

Best regards,
Henning Hraban Ramm
Südkurier Medienhaus / MediaPro
Support/Admin/Development Dept.