[Pythonmac-SIG] Finding what a broken alias refers to.

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Fri Jun 24 15:27:59 CEST 2005

Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> Someone with copious free time should build new Carbon wrappers, we
> can than ask if the existing wrappers can be dropped in a future
> version of Python. Sadly enough that probably is with python 2.6 at
> the earliest, which is a long way away.

Would there be any benefit to documenting bgen?  It seems like the
functionality it provides is useful, so that might be the first step
to building a worthy replacement. Or do you feel that the bgen
approach is fundamentally flawed?  And if so, what should be done to
replace it?  You're not suggesting manually wrapping Carbon, are you?

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> The problem with Carbon wrappers is that they have such diminishing
> returns.  The longer you wait, the less reason there is to use Carbon
> in the first place.
>
> If we just sit on our hands for another few years, all of the
> functionality in Carbon will be available elsewhere anyway :)

So in that scenario we don't need bgen at all, right?  But there is
still a significant chunck of functionality that is not exposed to
Cocoa.  Unfortunately, I don't know what the borders look like until
I stumble across them (and the new Quicktime framework definitely
shifted the borders pretty significantly).

> I have no intention whatsoever to work on new Carbon wrappers because
> all functionality I need is already available elsewhere. However, we
> do need a plan to get rid of the current wrappers (especially the
> Carbon.CF ones) to make room for better ones. I do want to add
> wrappers for CoreFoundation (and frameworks based on CoreFoundation)
> to PyObjC and would like to drop for Carbon.CF when that's done.
>
> There may be other frameworks that are useful (OSA stuff, QuickTime)
> and could use wrappers with betters tests and documentation.

Is there a hitlist of frameworks that would be good to support, but
are not supported yet? What are some of the best targets for someone
who wants to jump in and help out?

--Dethe

"...our universities, I suggest, are not half-way out of the
fifteenth century. [...] The three or four years' course of lectures,
the bachelor who knows some, the master who knows most, the doctor
who knows all, are ideas that have come down unimpaired from the
Middle Ages.  Nowadays no one should end his learning while he lives
and these university degrees are preposterous. [...] Educationally we
are still for all practical purposes in the coach and horse and
galley stage." H. G. Wells