[Pythonmac-SIG] Eclipse + PyDev

Tom Loredo loredo at astro.cornell.edu
Mon Jun 27 18:59:07 CEST 2005

Mathieu wrote:

> I use eclipse for my daily job, so pydev is a goode news.
> eclipse works fine with CVS and subversion, and its visual diff is nice.
> I didn't try debugging python with this tools, but syntax coloring, code
> navigation (function, class ...), code completion are very nice.
> Debbuging seems to work (http://pydev.sourceforge.net/debug.html), i'll
> try it later. I don't use debugger often i'd rather use crash report.
> Eclipse is a very cute cross plateform developpement tool with nice
> java, php and python support.

This pretty much echoes my own experience.  I use Eclipse+PyDev on
an old 333 MHz G3 laptop and a Quicksilver G4 desktop.  It's slow
to start (about 30s on both machines), but once it's up it runs
just fine.  I've only been using it for a few weeks but I'm pretty
close to hooked.  I did take a brief look at Wing IDE and was
impressed.  But what attracts me to Eclipse is that I'm working
on projects with C and Fortran extensions.  My understanding is
that other Eclipse plugins (e.g. Photran for Fortran) will let
me work with those files within Eclipse as well.  And I'll be
able to also work on HTML & JavaScript in support of these
projects in the same IDE.  (I hasten to add that I haven't tried
any of this yet.)  I need to do this on both Mac and
Linux (FC3) machines.  The only other environment I found that
offers this combination of both cross-platform and cross-language
support is JEdit (with appropriate plugins).  I tried JEdit
for a while, but Eclipse's latest incarnations are much more
Mac-like on the Mac and Linux-like on my FC3 box, probably
because Eclipse uses custom GUI tools, rather than relying
on Java's standard GUI tools.

I have also tried Eclispe+TruStudio Foundation.  While TruStudio
looks promising, they have a ways to go (their editor plugin
doesn't even correctly handle indentation).  It's a 1.0
release, but I'd say that designation is premature.  But
it's probably worth keeping an eye on TruStudio.

-Tom Loredo