[Pythonmac-SIG] CFURL Pain

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Tue Mar 1 00:16:44 CET 2005

Bob wrote:

>>>Well I can verify that there definitely are serious problems with
>>>CFURL after screwing around with it a bit.
>>
>>Figures. Yuck. Must be bgen's revenge for all the nasty things we
>>ever said about it.
>
>All the nasty things I ever said about it are because of things like this :)

But it's so quick! As long as you're Jack and know how to use it. If
you're not Jack, I guess you're screwed. On second thoughts, given
Jack's existing To-Do list is probably the size of K2 he's probably
screwed too. :p

I wonder if it'd be easier just to hand-code wrappers using Pyrex,
perhaps with a very basic macro system that automates only the
simplest of tasks. A lower level automation that works well might
ultimately be more productive than total automation that tends
towards flakiness. While a single person wouldn't be able to wrap
nearly as many APIs, the wrappers that did get done would probably be
more reliable due to the extra attention; maybe a bit nicer to use
too. Plus it'd make it easier for more folk to write these wrappers,
taking some pressure off Jack.

>>>Too bad :)  If you're writing Mac OS X specific code you
>>>**really** should have PyObjC anyway.
>>
>>Oh, I have. It's all the casual users who don't that present the
>>problem. If PyObjC is going to be so essential to all aspects of
>>MacPython usage then it's really time for it to join the standard
>>library.
>
>So let's offer a package that includes appscript, PyObjC, and py2app
>in one installer.

I do recall Jack saying something about maybe having a smaller core
library and moving a lot of the non-essential stuff to an external
package that could be managed independently; kind of a 'second tier'.
Perhaps that would be the way to do it: more flexibility for
individual package developers since they're not tied to the official
Python upgrade cycle while still providing a quick and simple
one-stop installation for users. Even modules that are destined for
the core library would benefit from spending some time at this
halfway house first while all the kinks are worked out (e.g. OSA.so).
Might be worth exploring to see what sort of infrastructure it would
require to run.

HTH

has
--