broken modules (was: Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] CFURL Pain)

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Mar 3 21:39:41 CET 2005

On Mar 3, 2005, at 15:31, Martina Oefelein wrote:

> Hi Bob:
>
>> Very few people care that undocumented modules don't work correctly.
>> You have to look pretty hard to even notice their existence in the
>> first place.  I've never heard of a broken undocumented standard
>> library module becoming a deal-breaker for someone new to Python.
>
> Looking at the Global module index
> http://python.org/doc/2.4/modindex.html
> it's hard not to notice the existence of the long list of
> Carbon.something modules in the left column.
>
> I think it would be a good idea to replace this with a single entry
> for Carbon, that explains that those modules are deprecated and one
> should use PyObjC instead.

They're not deprecated because nothing technically replaces them.
PyObjC, via Cocoa, gives you a lot of the functionality in a different
(and likely more sensible) way.  The CoreFoundation bits can and should
(but are not currently) be replaced by a PyObjC implementation, but
something like QuickTime, for example, isn't so easy.