[Pythonmac-SIG] Tcl/Tk Aqua

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Mar 7 14:44:44 CET 2005

On Mar 7, 2005, at 8:28, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> Lou,
>
> TkAqua is a separate installation that is available from this URL:
>
> http://tcltkaqua.sourceforge.net
>
> You'll find the current version (8.4.9) there. The tkinter binary that
> is installed by PackMan is just a thin wrapper over those frameworks.
>
> I've noticed a great number of questions about PackMan recently, as it
> seems the repository has been more or less abandoned in favor of the
> individual package installers from the undefined.org/python site. While
> that's fine, to say that this transition has been graceful or even
> minimally well-documented would be an understaement. There is a
> continuing need for the PackMan repository, if only for legacy
> components like tkinter that will not be updated by anyone nor
> available
> elsewhere.
>
> Would it be a bad idea to set up a permanent URL/plist address for
> these
> legacy packages that could be plugged into PackMan, and make this
> address a) easily discoverable on the Internet in a FAQ somewhere, and
> b) as the default address in the next iteration of PackMan? Because the
> default URL that is supposed to open when you open PackMan seems
> permanently broken (I've seen a dozen questions about that on the
> mailing list in the past few months).
>
> For what it's worth, here is what seems to be the (current) canonical
> list of PackMan URL references:
>
> http://www.python.org/packman/
>
> I guess that would do as the permanent address.

What you don't see is the stupid messages I get off-list because the
PackMan UI sucks and confuses people.  I'm tempted to just take it down
entirely so I don't have to see these messages (I have removed
references to the plist files from my site, but the plists themselves
should still be there).  If Jack intends to maintain the official
repository, or not, that's fine with me -- but mine is dead.

It would be trivial to build a new installer for _tkinter.so.  It's
*one file*.  It could be packaged up with the TclTkAquaBI pkg, so you
can do the whole thing in one fell swoop.