[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app troubles

Dave Opstad dave.opstad at monotypeimaging.com
Mon Mar 7 23:24:38 CET 2005

I've got a Tkinter application that works fine when I launch it via pythonw.
This is on 10.3.7, default 2.3.0 Python install, added the MacPython stuff
and installed _tkinter from Package Manager.

After successfully installing py2app 0.1.7, I modified my setup.py file and
then did a "python setup.py py2app" to build my app as a standalone, and
again everything worked fine. No error messages, and the app was sitting in
the dist folder.

However, upon launching the app I get an immediate error:

TclError: Can't find a usable init.tcl in the following directories:
    @TCL_IN_FRAMEWORK@
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/tcl8.4
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/lib/tcl8.4
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/library
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/library
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/tcl8.4.7/library
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/tcl8.4.7/library
@TCL_IN_FRAMEWORK@

This probably means that Tcl wasn't installed properly.

Since I'm able to use the app via pythonw, is it really the case that Tcl
isn't properly installed? I do have a Tcl.framework that contains an
init.tcl, but there isn't one anywhere in the Python framework.

Anybody have an idea how I've goofed up here?

Thanks!
Dave Opstad