[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app on Tiger

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Mar 17 04:01:34 CET 2005

On Mar 16, 2005, at 9:52 PM, Kevin Dangoor wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> My recommendation is to:
>>
>> -  Build your framework on the minimum target platform
>> -  Copy it over to your workstation
>> -  Use bdist_mpkg to build installer packages for the extensions you
>> use from the minimum target platform
>> -  Install them on your workstation as needed
>
> So, I guess the next question is: is it possible to have two versions
> of Mac OS X on one machine? My primary development box is a PowerBook.
> Would it be possible to keep 10.3 on an external firewire drive and
> boot from that when I need to produce my builds?
>
> (Sorry for the fairly basic question there, but I haven't had to do
> that kind of thing on a Mac before...)

Yes, external firewire drive or another partition on the same drive
works fine.  Another drive is your best option, because repartitioning
would wipe your current drive.

I have a G4 with 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4 installed on it (different
partitions) that I use for compiling junk (basically only via ssh, ARD,
or VNC).  My powerbook also has 10.3 and 10.4 on it (different
partitions).  My G5 only has 10.3 on it right now, though (it has a
whole bunch of drives, so it *could*, but I don't like rebooting it).

Doing it with an iPod is also a possibility, though iPods aren't the
fastest external firewire drives.

>> py2app doesn't compile anything, so it doesn't care which OS it runs
>> on.  I have a Python framework plus extensions that were built on Mac
>> OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) that I use to build a Mac OS X 10.2 compatible
>> application with from Mac OS X 10.3.
>
> Makes sense. I should've guessed that anything in C that links to OS
> libraries would not drop down to 10.3 easily.

It does, for some definition of easily (weak linking, SDKs, etc.).
However, autoconf based stuff has no idea how this works, and neither
does distutils, so it's not really an option for Python.