[Pythonmac-SIG] problem creating first pyobjc file

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Mar 23 22:53:50 CET 2005

On Mar 23, 2005, at 4:40 PM, David Reed wrote:

> I'm a Linux refugee familiar used to programming pygtk apps with glade
> and decided to see how to make Cocoa apps. I downloaded the pybobc
> 1.3b1 and py2app that Bob announced about a week ago. I'm following
> the tutorial and go to the step where I'm supposed to run:
>
> /usr/bin/python setup.py py2app -A
>
> and I get:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "setup.py", line 2, in ?
>     import py2app
>   File
> "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/
> python2.3/site-packages/py2app/__init__.py", line 43, in ?
>     import distutils.dist, distutils.core, distutils.command,
> build_app, sys
>   File
> "/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/
> python2.3/site-packages/py2app/build_app.py", line 24, in ?
>     from py2app.find_modules import find_modules, parse_mf_results
>   File "/Library/Python/2.3/py2app/py2app/__init__.py", line 33, in ?
>     import py2app.install
> ImportError: No module named install

You have two copies of py2app installed, one of which is older than
0.1.6.

 From <http://undefined.org/python/py2app.html>:

As of version 0.1.6, py2app uses the extra_path feature of  distutils,
which changes the installation layout. If you have py2app 0.1.5 or
earlier installed, you must manually remove the following directories
from your site-packages directory (probably /Library/Python/2.3 ) if
they exist before upgrading:
	◦ 	py2app
	◦ 	macholib
	◦ 	bdist_mpkg
	◦ 	modulegraph
	◦ 	altgraph

so.. clobber those directories and reinstall the mpkg.