[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: IDE recommendation

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Thu Mar 31 21:39:51 CEST 2005

In article <BE7217C6.455D8%ml at fgranger.com>,
 François Granger <ml at fgranger.com> wrote:

> Le 30/03/05 23:42, « Russell E. Owen » <rowen at cesmail.net> a écrit :
> >, though I hate ...(BBEdit's)
> > find/replace dialog box enough to not use it for coding.
>
> (the Bbedit version) It get some time to get to it, but it does really good
> search, regex, multifile ...

I agree that BBEdit does a very good job with regular expressions and
multi-file searching (especially the older BBEdit, see below). My main
objection is that it is really clumsy and dangerous for doing a one-off
"in selection" search and replace (far more so than ANY other editor
I've seen). Also, the dialog box is modal, which I loathe (why they
can't make that an option is beyond me).

Also, if you do decide to upgrade, TextWrangler and the latest BBEdit
seem to have much more dangerous multi-file search and replace than the
older BBEdit. It is a bit more flexible, but far too easy to search
files you had no intention of searching.

-- Russell