[Pythonmac-SIG] Package installation

Frederick C. Lee fclee at highstream.net
Mon May 2 20:01:04 CEST 2005

Greetings all...
     I'm a Python neophyte and am trying to run packages on the Mac
(now 'Tiger').   Structurally, Potentially....  Python is a great
scripting software and great for modeling systems being developed
into Cocoa/Obj-C.   What struck me as a big problem on the OS X is
the lack of a universal package-management system.

     I've been trying to build the Thuban™ GIS system that uses
wxPython and other packages on my Mac.   The Setup.py routine fails
to find critical wxPython packages causing the whole build to fail.
I tried setting the PYTHONPATH env variable, etc.   What I'm trying
to do, ultimately, is to create a savvy Cocoa/Obj-C GIS program based
on Open-Source software.   But it's a royal pain to build native open-
source code on the OS X as a model to work from.   The main problem
is the builder (setup.py) just can find all the necessary stuff (even
after ./configure).

I'm hitting brick walls here.

Ric.
Frustrated Mac developer & Oceanographer-wanna-be.