[Pythonmac-SIG] building non-Framework Python 2.4.1 on Tiger

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu May 5 01:30:30 CEST 2005

On May 4, 2005, at 7:15 PM, Gary Poster wrote:

> On May 4, 2005, at 3:29 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> I'm not really sure why you're trying not to build a framework
>> Python in the first place, there's no particularly good reason why
>> you'd want a non-framework Python around.
>>

> I'm a Zope developer.  I often have multiple Pythons around, one (or
> sometimes more) for each large project.  Framework builds help
> nothing for Zope, and friends have scared me off from using them
> except to replace the main Apple Python (which I just did sucessfully
> with your MacPython and TigerPython24Fix--thanks!).  Maybe that's
> misplaced fear, but working among developers on other platforms, its
> (mildly) convenient if our buildouts all use the same buildout dance.

Well, you don't build your own on Windows, do you?  I don't see why
you should have to build one on your Mac either.  Framework builds
are almost entirely self-contained (except for the /usr/local/bin
symlinks), similar to a typical Windows install.

In other words, why should you need to build Python 2.4.1 when there
is already one built and available?  I could understand if you were
working off of some modified Python or off CVS HEAD or something..
but it seems like you're spending more time than you should have to.

As far as friends scaring you off.. I dunno, maybe they didn't know
what they were doing when they tried it, or they were bitten by some
problem that has been solved long since.  The only "incompatibility"
with framework builds is that stupid extensions that don't use
distutils in their build procedure aren't going to work out of the
box, but they're probably not going to work out of the box anyway
because Mac OS X's linker takes different options.