[Pythonmac-SIG] (no subject)

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon May 9 19:55:02 CEST 2005

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> Well, you might think that you have particularly good reasons to use
> PYTHONPATH, but pth files can do the same thing in a more predictable
> way.

I agree with this...I have NEVER used PYTHONPATH.

>  Perhaps it should ignore PYTHONPATH, but why?

For exactly the reason Konrad gave: An application bundle should run on
anyone's system unchanged. The user should not have to know it is
written in Python. So the issue is not whether The developer (Konrad, in
this case) should use PYTHONPATH, but whether it's possible that someone
that wants to run your application bundle is using it, and who the heck
knows about that! A user might even have PYTHONPATH altered by some
poorly designed application without their knowledge. The truth of the
matter is that a lot of Python (and PYTHONPATH is part of this) was not
designed from the start to be used to build distributable stand-along
applications. Perhaps this will be made easier with Py3k some day, but
in the meantime, I think it would be a great idea for Py2App to default
to ignoring PYTHONPATH.

> NOTHING else  does.

Would a Python interpreter embedded in a app use it? Not if I wrote that
app!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov