[Pythonmac-SIG] Trouble with _readline package

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Tue May 10 01:13:25 CEST 2005

I downloaded a few packages today from <http://pythonmac.org/packages>
and installed them (selecting those for MacOS X 10.3 with the built in
python).

I installed _readlines, _tkinter, _bsddb, py2app and PantherPythonFix
(even though I had a working _tkinter and _readlines from Package
Manager).

After that my startup script (that remembers recent commands between
invocations of python) failed with:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/Python
.app/Contents/MacOS/Python: object:
/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/si
te-packages/readline.so truncated or malformed object (LC_SEGMENT
command 2 fileoff field plus filesize field extends past the end of the
file)

I used Package Manager to restore _readlines and all seems to be well.

By the way, Package Manager's can't find its database again --
presumably due to 10.3.9. (In fact one reason I wanted to have a set of
directly downloadable packages instead of using package manager is that
the latter often can't find its database without help).

-- Russell