[Pythonmac-SIG] Carbon.AE problems revisited

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Fri May 13 16:10:22 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I'm working on the next version of aem/appscript for release later this month, and need some expert advice on the following problem:

As some folks will know, some parts of aem rely on patches I've made to Carbon.AE's _AE.so extension that haven't yet been applies to the standard MacPython distribution. Previous aem releases required users to replace the current lib-dynload/_AE.so with this new version, which obviously becomes a bit of an issue when it means patching an Apple-installed Python.framework.

To avoid arguments over permissions, it'd be best to put the modified _AE.so into site-packages. However, this means that there's now two _AE.so extensions in use, and therefore two non-interchangeable AEDesc types. This means that Python code that uses one is incompatible with code that uses the other, which is obviously not a good situation either - two AEDesc types is really one too many.

Is there an 'official' way to deal with this sort of problem? If not, what other solutions are available to me, and what are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks,

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/