[Pythonmac-SIG] convert binary plist to xml string

brad.allen@omsdal.com brad.allen at omsdal.com
Sat May 14 01:11:13 CEST 2005

Thanks, Florian, for the instructions on how to convert the new binary
plist files into something parseable.

I'm wondering if it's going to be possible to bundle this sort of
functionality into plistlib. Since PyObjC is needed, I guess the normal
plistlib won't be able to do it. Maybe a special version of plistlib could
be bundled with PyObjC, just to handle this?

Meanwhile, what's the best day to detect if a plist file is binary? I
guess I could just wrap the normal plistlib parsing in a try block, catch
the exception, and try again after converting from binary, but that seems
kludgy.

Does anybody know why Apple chose to start using binary for plist files?
This seems mighty inconvenient. Was it for read/write performance?