[Pythonmac-SIG] Frameworks which won't import

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed May 18 20:14:35 CEST 2005

On May 18, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Dethe Elza wrote:

> I have a framework which I can't import into PyObjC in the usual
> way.  Since then I've tried various other frameworks I've found on my
> system, mostly embedded in application bundles, and some import but
> others do not.  I'm not getting any information on *why* they can't
> be imported, even when I turn on debugging with the following lines
> before any attempt to load bundles.
>
> from PyObjCTools import Debugging
> Debugging.installVerboseExceptionHandler()

This logs Objective-C exceptions, not linker errors.  It's not going
to do anything for you unless the problem is due to a +load or
something (which, I have never seen).

It's more or less a case of getting what you deserve, trying to load
embedded frameworks from applications that were never meant for
external use.  They probably depend on symbols defined in the
executable or something.

> Here are the questions:
>
> * What can I do to find out why a bundle wouldn't load?

Not much.

> * Are there common, expected reasons for a framework bundle to not
> load?

Not really.

> * Is there anything I can do about it?

Probably not.