[Pythonmac-SIG] Free Python code and Licenses

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri May 20 09:00:21 CEST 2005

On May 19, 2005, at 8:58 PM, Kenneth McDonald wrote:

> I have nothing against the GPL (well, yes I do, I think it makes the
> free and commercial software sides enemies, but that's a completely
> different topic), but I do think it would be nice if all free Python
> software was released under the same license as Python itself. Python
> is an elegant language, and having all kinds of different Python
> modules under all sorts of different licenses is, well...inelegant.

Well the PSF license has certain issues in that it's only really
meant to be used by the PSF for software wholly owned by the PSF.
However, using MIT/BSD style license is equivalent to using PSF since
they are compatible.

I'd rather not have a license flamewar, though :)

> Does it allow the _creation_ of custom metadata tags on files? Or are
> we restricted to the ones defined by Apple?

Metadata importers can define whatever key/value pairs they want to.
Only certain keys are used intelligently by Apple's Spotlight UI, but
you can define whatever you want and there are APIs to query
Spotlight for your own purposes.