[Pythonmac-SIG] Crossplatform UI libraries best supported on the Mac?

Kenneth McDonald kenneth.m.mcdonald at gmail.com
Tue May 24 05:42:19 CEST 2005

This is only half a Mac question, I admit, but the Mac aspect will be
a big influence...

I'd like to pick a crossplatform UI library for which Python has
bindings, to start doing some programming in. I've used and liked Tk a
lot in the past, but unfortunately it seems to be (1) way out
popularity, (2) not moving forward in any significant sense, and (3),
in my experience, often quite difficult to use on the Mac with Python
and other Tk addons, due to compile issues.

The flavors o' the day seem to be either QT or wxWindows. So, questions:

1) Is either of these difficult to install or use with Python on the
Mac, using a version of Python newer than that which shipped with
Tiger? If one is easier, which one?

2) Similarly, for which is it easier to get third-party widgets and
libs up and running, under the conditions stated above.

3) Finally, since I'm asking, a non-Mac question; which do people
think is better, both in the context of using with Python, and in the
more general context of being a good UI lib.

Thanks,
Ken