[Pythonmac-SIG] binary extension portability

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Sun May 29 19:45:32 CEST 2005

has <hengist.podd at virgin.net> writes:

> Bob wrote:
>
>>>One more question: am I right in thinking that extension binaries
>>>aren't portable between major Python versions, e.g. an .so file
>>>built under Python 2.3 won't work on Python 2.4 and vice-versa?
>>
>>Correct, binary extensions are not portable between major Python
>>versions on ANY platform.
>
> Thought as much, just couldn't seem to find confirmation in the
> Python docs. Thanks,

Well, it's more a matter of practicality; there's no effort to make
sure that extensions are binary compatible accross Python versions,
and so usually they aren't.  That said, you'd probably be able to load
an extension for 2.3 into 2.4 if you ignore the warnings, but it
certainly isn't supported.

Cheers,
mwh

--
  The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit.
                                                -- W. Somerset Maugham