[Pythonmac-SIG] Apple's python extensions into Quartz2D

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Tue May 31 22:45:41 CEST 2005

Chris Barker wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>
>>I disliked the implementation (undocumented, closed source SWIG bindings
>>are largely unusable), so I wrote my own using Pyrex. I call it,
>>unimaginatively, ABCGI, A Better CoreGraphics Interface. It is part of
>>Kiva, Enthought's graphics library, and has served as "ground truth" for
>>the other backends.
>>
>>When I get some time, I'll break it out as a separate package.
>
> While we're on the topic, could Kiva be ripped out and used by itself?

Certainly. To "rip it out," all you do is not import Chaco.  ;-)

> It could be a pretty cool lib for things other than Chaco. Also, what's
> the status of Chaco on Linux and OX-X? It looked so promising, but has
> kind of disappeared off the radar.

Neglected. :-)

Enthought's primary target has been wxPython 2.4 on Windows. However,
there were some recent changes that should improve its outlook on OS X,
at least. I haven't had a chance to try them out, yet.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter