[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app generated app, not acting as a stand-alone app

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Nov 2 23:14:30 CET 2005

On Nov 2, 2005, at 2:06 PM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 2-nov-2005, at 22:17, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> Speaking of which, the svn trunk of py2app should be able to
>> analyze and write Mach-O headers of any combination of supported
>> architectures now (32-bit of both endians, 64-bit of both endians,
>> and the universal header that wraps them).  It's not really tested
>> yet, though.
>
> Cool. Does that mean that if I'd have a universal binary version of
> Python and addon packages I'd end up with a universal binary
> application bundle after running py2app?

Almost, the bootstrap is still PPC only for now.  That's another
issue, because if I ship a universal bootstrap and someone uses it
with some subset of PPC-only modules, then the application will not
work on a x86 machine since it will run the bootstrap native.

There may be some kind of Info.plist flag that can toggle which is
the preferred arch, that would be ideal, otherwise I will either have
to make py2app smart enough to do something like lipo -thin and split
off everything but the preferred arch.

Needless to say, universal binary support is going to be a pain!