[Pythonmac-SIG] inputing multi-digit numbers

Paul Berkowitz berkowit at silcom.com
Thu Nov 10 20:54:54 CET 2005

On 11/10/05 11:25 AM, "Kevin Walzer" <sw at wordtech-software.com> wrote:

> Excel on Mac is AppleScriptable through a weird path: Excel exposes the
> VBA object model to AppleScript. So, it's not AppleScriptable in the
> standard sense and I am not sure how you would access it from Python.

Actually, that's completely false - you must have been thinking of
PowerPoint X and (effectively) Word X and earlier, which have 'do Visual
Basic' commands in AppleScript. (Word always had a limited pure AppleScript
dictionary too, but it was far too buggy and didn't work properly - until
Word 2004, which works just fine.)

Although Excel does also have VBA, it has always had a first-rate
AppleScript object model, even in earlier versions (X and earlier), which
always worked well. In the most recent recent version, Office 2004, its
AppleScript dictionary was completely rewritten along with Word's and
PowerPoint's - and its native AppleScript is now even better, and complete.
It mirrors the VBA model, definitely, and its AppleScript syntax is thus a
little, shall we say "obscure", but it's pure AppleScript. Aside from its
voluminous AppleScript dictionary, there's also an AppleScript Reference
Guide you can get from MacTopia - the Microsoft Mac website
(http://www.microsoft.com/mac/) /Resources/Developer/AppleScript.

You can access it (and earlier versions too) via has's appscript from
Python.

--
Paul Berkowitz