[Pythonmac-SIG] book recommendation

Jack Nutting jnutting at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 13:02:06 CET 2005

On 11/15/05, Paul Davis <pjdavis at engineering.uiowa.edu> wrote:

> Not that my opinion has much weight on this matter, but I also recently
> started playing with PyObjC and Cocoa. I really noticed that the API
> documentation that apple provides is extremely hard to navigate. My
> buddy told me that there are programs to read the documentation. Of all
> the programing languages and all the API's I have learned, this is the
> first time I've heard of such a thing. I'm not sure what exactly this
> says about the API, but I'm thinking its not good. I don't really have
> a point to make here. And with that...

I think it's a very good point. It would be really nice if Apple had all the
documentation in the header files, so that documentation in different
formats (like Apple's current docs, or like Java html docs, or whatever)
could be autogenerated, in particular so that people could generate whatever
kind of docs they wanted. If that were the case, it should even be easy to
even generate PyObjC-syntax docs for the frameworks. What the heck, I'll
post it as a bug on http://bugreport.apple.com just for fun.

--
// jack
// http://www.nuthole.com