[Pythonmac-SIG] (no subject)

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sat Nov 19 23:14:31 CET 2005

On Nov 19, 2005, at 1:55 PM, Tom Elliott wrote:

> I have a working project using Apple's python 2.3 and the PyObjC
> bridge.  I would like to build a standalone application for my co-
> workers.  As I understand it, this requires using a different
> python.  So I installed python 2.4.1 using Bob Ippolito's installer.
> Since the PyObjC installer is set up for Apple's python, I built from
> source, following what I guess are old instructions
>
> I used:
> python setup.py bdist_mpkg --open
> not..
> /usr/local/bin/python setup.py install 	(sym link to python2.4 sym
> link to binary)
>
> I went back and did the latter, don't know if that screws things up.
> I thought py2app was supposed to be there but it wasn't, python 2.4
> can't import py2app.

The docs assume that "python" is the target python interpreter.  If
you had done /usr/local/bin/python setup.py bdist_mpkg --open then
everything would've worked.

> Now I get this error trying to build my program:
>
> TE-G4-PB:~/PyGeneFinder.EC telliott$ sudo /usr/local/bin/python
> setup.py install
> Password:
>
> running install
> running build
> running install_data
> error: mkpath: 'name' must be a string (got u'/Library/Frameworks/
> Python.framework/Versions/2.4/English.lproj')
>
> What am I doing wrong?

install is for installing Python extensions, that's not what you're
doing so it's not the right command to use.

/usr/local/bin/python setup.py py2app