[Pythonmac-SIG] pyserial

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Fri Nov 25 08:54:13 CET 2005

> Is this helpful for a USB to Serial converter?

Yes.  That is actually what many cell phone cables are.

> I need to talk to a weather
> station and I'm looking for some information about how to open an i/o stream
> across the kensington usb/serial converter.

There is no standard for talking to a USB to serial converter
which means each implements their own 'protocol'.  Consequently
you have to have a device driver for the converter.  It should
then show up as /dev/cua.XXX where XXX varies.

(By contrast there are standards for USB modems, keyboards, mice
etc which is why you don't have to have a driver for them.)

If you cannot find a device driver then I recommend returning the
device and getting one based on the Prolific PL2303.  This chip
is very popular and used in most converters.  There are Mac drivers
at www.prolific.com.tw.

You won't be able to tell by examination which chip is used, but
can once it is plugged in.  The system profiler lists the vendor
and product ids for each USB device.  Look for vendor Prolific
and product $2303.

The last Aten and IOGear USB to serial cables I bought had the
Prolific chip.

Roger