[Pythonmac-SIG] readline support in ActivePython 2.4.2?

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Tue Nov 29 18:41:39 CET 2005

[Dave wrote]
> I installed the ActivePython 2.4.2 binary on a clean 10.4 system.  I
> also installed ipython 0.6.15.  ipython complains there is no readline
> support.  I did find a readline.so file in
>
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload/
>
> and ipython seems to be using the 2.4.2 python version.
>
> How can I get readline to work, especially in ipython?  Is there an
> obvious fix or should I perhaps uninstall the ActivePython version and
> use the 2.4.1 installer and related patches at
> http://undefined.org/python/

Currently the readline module is not in ActivePython builds. Mainly this
is due to licensing issues: readline is GPL, ActivePython is free as in
beer.  I *do* want to make it a simple separate download to be able to
plop in readline support, but haven't yet had the chance.

You could either build the readline module to any Python 2.4 and plop
that in. Dropping in the readline.so from the Mac Python build should
work to.

Sincerely,
Trent

--