[Pythonmac-SIG] Selecting in BBEdit & Python Indenting style(spaces)

Louis Pecora pecora at anvil.nrl.navy.mil
Tue Nov 29 22:54:13 CET 2005

Kent Quirk wrote:

>Just because there seems to be an orgy of people agreeing that Tabs are the One True Way, I feel a need to point out that there are those of us who fervently believe that Tabs Are Evil. The reason is that tabs are interpreted differently in different places, and they're indistinguishable from spaces upon casual inspection. So the visual appearance of mixed spaces and tabs can be highly misleading and confusing, especially in an environment with multiple developers, each of whom may have a different tab setting.
>
>Spaces are unambiguous. As it's the meaning of the source that matters, and editors can be tuned to personal taste, I'm in favor of leaving the source clean of tabs and letting people tweak their editors to their own liking.
>
>In my view, Python should consider leading tabs to be a syntax error (and yes, I know about the -tt switch).
>
>	Kent

I'm not sure what you are talking about, but I meant that Tabs can be
set in an editor (e.g. BBEdit) to _display_  at any number of spaces,
but the editor does not put in real spaces.  It just displays the Tabs
as indentations whose width you choose.  There's still only one
character (a tab) there in the file.  Delete works properly.  That's
pretty unambiguous to me.  So if someone else on your project likes to
display using 8-space tabs and you like 2-space tabs it doesn't matter.
You can look at his files and edit them back and forth and nothing gets
confused.  Why is that so bad?

--
Cheers,

Lou Pecora