[Pythonmac-SIG] Selecting in BBEdit & Python Indenting style (spaces)

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Wed Nov 30 23:57:29 CET 2005

On 29-nov-2005, at 18:33, Louis Pecora wrote:

> What the heck were they (Guido?) thinking when they used 4 spaces
> as the one true mode of indentation for Python?

Initially Python was unix-only, and there (at that time) a tab was 8
spaces and that is that, no problem with mixing tab/spaces. Then the
Mac (and later dos/windows) joined the scene, which had 4-space tabs.
Then it was deemed mixing tab/space was bad (because code got ugly or
even didn't work when ported between 4- and 8-space tabs. Because at
that time most editors (both on Unix and Windows) still did not have
the feature to set how many spaces a tabstop was it was decided to go
with spaces for indenting: going with tabs would have meant unix-
heads would be stuck with unusable 8-space indents.
Goldman