[Pythonmac-SIG] Play Quicktime mov

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Oct 10 17:47:32 CEST 2005

On Oct 10, 2005, at 6:05 AM, <Henning.Ramm at mediapro-gmbh.de>
<Henning.Ramm at mediapro-gmbh.de> wrote:

>> I'm a newbie. Can anyone clearify if Python can play
>> Quicktime movies? I kind of heard that it's possible.
>> Also, does it have a specific control to play the .mov
>> by time-codes? Many Thanks!
>>

> Python by itself cannot. But it can access Apple's core libraries
> to do anything.
> QuickTime seems a bit difficult, you seem to need AppleScript to
> access it,
> please have a look at the running thread "appscript and quicktime".

That's not true at all.  There's a Carbon.QuickTime module that can
do most of what QuickTime does (none of which is very easy,
unfortunately), and you can get at any of the Cocoa stuff (NSMovie,
etc.) using PyObjC (which is a lot easier).

Of course, you can also talk to the QuickTime player via apple events
(AppleScript, etc.).