[Pythonmac-SIG] Framework build of 2.4.2

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sun Oct 30 17:36:17 CET 2005

On Friday, October 28, 2005, at 09:09PM, Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:

>On Oct 28, 2005, at 5:03 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

>>> Not particularly soon unless someone else does it.
>>>

>> I can boot into 10.3 if necessary. How does one build the "unofficial
>> offical" Python installer? I suppose by running the 'build' script in
>> Mac/OSX/Dist.
>
>To my recollection, yes.  There are three caveats that I can remember
>though:
>
>1. It does not make a pydoc symlink for /usr/local/bin, that should
>be fixed (a make frameworkinstall issue)
>2. It might make a header file that won't allow extensions to compile
>on 10.4, check that first (that's what the Tiger fix is)
>3. Something to do with the documentation and IDLE and/or PythonIDE
>might not work?  I don't remember the details, and I never tried to
>fix it.
>
>> Do I need to install other software before trying to build the
>> installer? Waste springs to mind, BerkeleyDB is another one.
>
>I would suggest having Waste, BerkeleyDB, readline and TclTkAqua
>installed when building it, and I would make sure that BerkeleyDB and
>readline are static so that there aren't any dylib dependencies there
>(Waste is only available static anyway).

Another alternative is makeing sure that readline and BerkeyDB get installed inside the framework. Building static libraries is easier, and that's what I've done.

I'm currently building the DMG. There is one problem though, the script refers to 'setupDocs.py' for building the documentation, and that isn't in the 2.4.2 source archive ... Never mind, I've found the script, it is named 'Doc/setup.py'.

One other thing: would it be wise to create /Library/Python/2.4 with symlinks to relevant parts of the framework? I'm mostly thinking of the directories "bin" and "site-packages". The reason I'd like to do this is twofold:

1) listing /Library/Python/2.4/site-packages would be an easy way to check what is installed.
2) unless you use bdist_mpkg to install packages or have a .pydistutils.cfg scripts will end up inside the framework, and will
    theforefore be non-existant for most users.

I had to patch the sources anyway, might as wel add this improvement as well.